The Vermont Donor Milk Center, Inc. is a milk depot as well as dispensing site. As a depot we accept milk from screened donors, store it in our freezers, and then ship it to the milk bank out of state for processing.
Becoming a screened milk donor can be done in four steps:
- Complete a 15 minute phone screening.
- Fill out forms.
- Get a blood test (paid for by the out of state milk bank where pasteurization occurs.)
- Make arrangements with us for delivery of your milk, at no cost to you.
You are able to donate, if:
You have breast milk that is truly extra, or cannot be used by your baby (bereaved and surrogate parents are welcome to become breast milk donors.)
You are in good health.
Your breast milk was put in the freezer within 48 hours of being pumped.
You are only using medications on our “approved for use in donors” list (call for the list.)
You are able to donate a minimum of 150 ounces (there is no minimum for bereaved donors.)
You are not using any herbal supplements (call if you have specific questions.)
You are not eligible, if:
- You have or are being treated for HIV, HTLV, hepatitis B or C, or syphilis.
- You have used recreational drugs in the past year, including marijuana.
- You smoke or use tobacco products.
- You drink alcohol daily.
- You spent 3 months or more in the United Kingdom between 1980 and 1996 OR
- You spent 5 years or more in Europe and/or the UK between 1980 and the present.
We accept breast milk stored in your freezer up to at least 7 months, including milk previously pumped.
Get in Touch
Find Us on Social
GROW Prenatal & Family Center
37 Lincoln Street
Essex Junction, Vermont 05452